Thursday, February 4, 2010

Oh, What a Difference Light Makes...

While we were in Utah we were able to see my husband Gabe's entire family too, and since it's not very often that everyone gets together we took the opportunity to get some pictures.  Unfortunately it was a very bright and cold day in Utah, which didn't make for the best portraits, and since we were on a tight schedule so that the girls could make it to our showing of "New Moon" on time we didn't have a lot of time to scout out locations so we made do with my parent's new, partly finished backyard.  First we tried pictures with the weeds as a backdrop which would have worked well if it wasn't for the horrible side lighting.  I told my mom those obnoxious weeds were worth something!  She keeps hoping they'll build a house there so she doesn't have to look at them anymore. ;)  Anyway, it doesn't matter how nice a backdrop is if the lighting is bad.  Toward the end I had the subjects (Gabe's cute younger sisters) turn with their backs to the sun, and voila, a MUCH better portrait with even lighting!  I think it works even with the houses as a backdrop.  Don't you?
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
A few of his brother and his wife turned out pretty good too.  I just love the backlit look...
Photobucket
Photobucket
and yes, these were taken in the middle of the day. ;)
Photobucket
Photobucket
A few from the beginning with the obviously not as good side lighting, but I love how they were interacting with each other.  I always feel like I've done my job when I can capture a little piece of real life. ;)
Photobucket
Photobucket

1 comments:

Mara Hinton February 8, 2010 at 2:34 PM  

Lighting is hard! And it really does make all the difference. So much to learn... :)

About Me

I am amazed at the impact pictures have had in my life. In something as simple as the click of a shutter I can have those precious moments in my life preserved forever. This has become even more important to me since I have been married and had children. I look back at pictures even a month ago and can't believe how much my children have grown. Imagine if I didn't have that to look back on, and see how far they've come. I will always treasure those times, and continue to capture more as I look toward the future.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP